There is no doubt 2021 has been another incredibly tough year for both the economy and our communities. Many of us are now looking forward to the holiday season and spending some much needed time with loved ones.
However, for many families this Christmas will be just as tough as ever with many people still out of work and unable to provide basic necessities on top of rising daily expenses. Christmas is a luxury they simply cannot afford and more children this year could be waking up on Christmas Day without anything under the tree.
That is why we at Direct Cars are supporting the Cash for Kids Mission Christmas campaign - but we need your help!
Cash for Kids are a grant-giving charity that aims to improve the lives of disadvantaged children and young people in our communities. In 2020 alone they raised over £19.2 million and supported over 390,000 children nationwide. However, the charity relies on festive events to generate income and lockdowns closed many of the previous Mission Christmas drop off points in South Yorkshire.
This Christmas we have a little bit of room to breathe, but for many it is just as hard as 2020. You can help ensure local children living in poverty will receive a visit from Santa and wake up to gifts on Christmas morning. All you have to do is buy just one extra gift and place it in the dedicated basket in our showroom by Sunday 19th December 2021. It is as simple as that!
Here are some gift ideas for different age groups:
- 0-3 years: DUPLO®, musical toys, “my first” toys, rattles, books, play mats.
- 3-5 years: Cars, dolls, jigsaws, dress up items, Play-Doh, colouring books and pencils.
- 5-7 years: LEGO®, art and craft sets, skipping ropes, make your own photo frame, Soft toys, jewellery set, action figures, board games.
- 7-9 years: Footballs, board games, remote control toys, stationary sets.
- 9-12 years: Board games, make up sets, nail varnish.
- 12-18 years: Toiletries, electrical items (straighteners, mini speakers) aftershave & perfumes, jewellery, puzzles, make-up, books, lunch boxes, duvet sets, handbags and backpacks.
All we ask is the gifts are: new and unwrapped, or they cannot be accepted. If you are wondering: 12-18 years is usually the age group they get the least donations for.
Last year £766,440 of gifts and cash were distributed to more than 19,100 underprivileged children across South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire, and this year they have had over 18,000 applications already. To help spread the word you will be hearing our sponsored adverts on Hallam FM and Greatest Hits Radio North Derbyshire (formerly Peak FM) over the course of the campaign.
We hope you will get involved and help us make the 2021 Mission Christmas appeal the biggest and best yet – and bring some much-needed Christmas Cheer to local children who need it most.
You can find out more about the campaign on Hallam FM’s website.